Katja Lange-Müller, born in the Berlin district of Lichtenberg in 1951, worked for six years as a nursing assistant in closed women’s psychiatric wards at Berlin’s Charité hospital and at the Berlin-Herzberge specialized clinic for neurology and psychiatry. From 1979 to 1982, she pursued studies at the Johannes R. Becher Institute for Literature in Leipzig; this was followed by a year of foreign study in the People’s Republic of Mongolia and work at the Wilhelm Pieck rug factory in Ulan-Bator. Afterwards, she worked for half a year in the editorial office of the publishing house Altberliner Verlag. In November 1984, she emigrated to West Berlin. She has published short stories, novels and radio plays.